It’s that time of year right? Time to make your New Year’s Resolutions!
According to FORBES only 8% of people are successful in their New Years Resolutions. So maybe you don’t need Resolutions.
Webster’s defines the word Resolutions in many ways, one of which is: “the act of determining”. Makes sense, and without questions being determined to achieve something is a great place to start. Having that ‘resolve’ to achieve whatever it is you want to achieve is great… but it’s not enough.
You need a plan. Saying, “I’m going to lose weight” or “I’m going to stop drinking” or “I’m going to quit smoking” is all well and good, and having a firm resolve, a determination to achieve your wish is fantastic but without a plan that’s all it is… a wish.
Perhaps instead of making your resolution about the end goal, perhaps you should resolve to put together a plan. Sit down and take at least as much time as you scroll through Facebook every day to map out HOW you’re going to make your wish come true.
Here are 5 strategies you can use to help you:
- Don’t try to do it all at once. Set a realistic goal for when you want your wish to come true. Something that you know you can do.
- Break it down into action steps you can take each day, each week, each month.
- Give yourself milestones. Set mini goals along the way that when you achieve them, when you hit that milestone, you have a mini celebration to keep you motivated.
- Don’t do it alone. Who do you know who has been successful at what you’re trying to do? Ask them to mentor you. Ask them for advice. Don’t reinvent the wheel, do research and arm yourself with all the various ways in which you can be successful.
- Most important of all WRITE IT DOWN! Don’t type it into your phone, tablet, or computer. Write everything down BY HAND. Write down your ultimate wish. Write down your time frame. Write down your milestones. Write down your plan. There is an immense power that takes place in your brain when you write something down with your hand, taking the time to form the words on paper. Try it, you’ll be surprised at how much of a head start it gives you.
So be determined, yes. By all means be resolute. But don’t just wish your dreams to come true, plan for them. As the saying goes, if you don’t know where you’re going, any direction will do, but even with a direction in mind, you still have to chart a course.
Today is the first day of a brand new year. Take the time to chart the course for your year ahead and move firmly and confidently in the direction of your Dreams.